Exchange Visitors Visa – Non-immigrant Visa: J-1 Visa

Popularly known as the Exchange Visitor Visa, J-1 visa program allows entry to foreign nationals (foreign exchange visitors) who want to study or work in the US. The visa classification is a part of the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act, whose major objective is to develop a culture where US residents and other nationals share knowledge and ideas with each other.

Under the J-1 visa program, the Department of State allows foreign nationals in the US for the purpose of studying, teaching, or conducting research. In addition, it also includes people who want an entry in the US as students, teachers, professors, trainers, researchers, physicians, or counselors.

An applicant of J-1 visa must be sponsored by a government facility or a private business accredited by the State Department. The time of stay of a J-1 visa holder depends on the nature of activities.

Requirements For J-1 Visa

Like other visa programs, J-1 comes with a number of requirements that applicants have to meet. They range from eligibility to the nature of the activity to perform in the US.

  • A petitioner must have the Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (Form DS-2019) from a sponsor private business or a government facility.
  • Petitioners must prove that they have a permanent residence outside the US which they won’t abandon.

Get In Touch With Experienced Immigration Attorney

In addition to paperwork, there are certain requirements that petitioners must meet while applying for a J-1 visa. Hiring a J-1 visa lawyer can assist you in following all the USCIS regulations. We have an experienced immigration law team who can provide you with the guidance to fill the visa application and other necessary paperwork in the proper/required manner and eliminate possible errors.